Published on September 21st, 2012 | by Chris Blundell5
Recording: Things just got real
So, as you may have seen, recording had already begun on The Hit Squad. I (Chris) had recorded a few hours of dialogue (various takes/characters and guide tracks) but as I prepped to transfer them all onto the computer… a problem arose.
They had disappeared. Technically they were there on the recorder (a Zoom H1, fact fans) but with a file size of 0kb. I tried loading them into the audio software, but nothing would load them. After around 5 hours of panicking, futile attempts at recovery and wonderful help from Twitter followers, I gave up.
Hours of work had been thrown down the drain, never to be heard again. The pragmatic side of me kicked in and the next day I found space to record, updated the firmware on the recorder and spent two days locked in a room with a bottle of whiskey (gargling it helps to keep the throat disinfected) the script and pints and pints of water.
It was a very physically tiring few days, but after hearing the results, I’m confident that they’re better than the originals, both in audio quality (I upped the quality to 96khz, 24 bit) and performance quality (experimented a little more with Roddys voice, think I had an epiphany).
So, refusing to pander to the temptation of moping about the loss of the first batch of recordings kinda worked out for the best. Now the monumental task of editing it all, and directing the other actors dialogue and organising that is a different story!